So the past 3 weeks have been both rewarding and challenging. First thing's first, the Meal Plan:
The first time I looked at this 14 day meal plan I thought to myself, "Holy moly, I don't like half of the things listed here... no dairy or cheese? No wheat products? I'm gonna fail". Then, later, after much contemplation about my body, my weight, and what I want out of this, I took another look. This time I realized, "okay, I can try squash. I'm sure almond butter isn't SO bad. And hey, I love feta and goat cheese. I'll try rice milk... gluten free bread can't be so bad, right?"
So I dove in. Full throttle. And it was TOUGH. The toughest part is that they give you Saturdays to create your own diet plan, and that makes it reallllly easy to not follow at all. But the point of that is, I know, to learn how to put these meals together yourself. It helps you decide what grain, protein and veg to have, instead of following something like this for the rest of your life (BORING).
Now that I'm 21 days in I can't say I've been perfect. I've eaten some wheat, despite buying myself potato vodka and gluten free beer for my long weekend festivities. I ate some chips. I drank a pepsi. I had a chocolate bar. But here's what I figure. It's OKAY. It's okay that I slipped up. It's okay that I haven't been absolutely perfect. You know why? Because if I don't make exceptions for myself once in a while, I know I'm doomed. I know the importance of sticking to a diet but I know myself well enough that if I don't provide myself some room to breathe, I'll give up completely. And not because it's too hard. Day 1 I went to bed hungry but now most days I don't even consume as much food as the guide tells me I should. I just know I'd fail because I'd think to myself:
"If I'm not enjoying my life, what's the point?"
Now, there are pros and cons to this statement. On one hand, this has been my TRUSTY justification for all of the bad choices I'd made over the past 5 years. It has held my hand through years of nacho plates for dinner and 3 pops a day.
But on the other hand, there really is something to knowing the importance of remembering not to lose yourself or your happiness doing something like this.
Because first and foremost I want to be happy in life. But for too long I was mistaking the short-term pleasures of chips, pop and chocolate bars that I forgot about how great it would feel to LOOK good again. THAT is what will make me most happy.
And I am 60 pounds away from my first goal weight.
I don't expect to lose even half of that from the challenge. The last time I weighed myself I hadn't lost anything yet. I sit at 210 lbs currently. Five years ago I weighed 130. 7 years ago I weighed 115 lbs. And I'm not saying I expect to get back to my grade 9 body (no thanks, I like having boobs finally) but I do know I took that time in my life for granted. I was skinny for 18 years, unhappily gaining weight for 3, and fat for the past 2. It only takes a few bad decisions and a few years to lose yourself and that's what happened to me.
I can't wait to get me back.
DAY 1:
DAY 21:
I guess it's not much of a difference yet but I am getting there and feeling great!


No comments:
Post a Comment